Entries for Head of the Dart Stand Up Paddle have grown dramatically in recent years but we wish to ensure it remains an inclusive, welcoming and fun event. We recognise that some paddlers will like to paddle flat-out and race hard all the way to the finish while others will simply be cruising and enjoying the scenery. Therefore we will separate the fleets into “Racing” and “Leisure” categories with separate starts to ensure everyone can set off the start line amongst like-minded paddlers and not hinder or intimidate anyone paddling at a different pace!
The main fleet is known as the “Leisure” fleet. With a separate start to the other classes, riders won’t have the pressure of the Elite racers steaming past and will have time to take in some spectacular views cruising up the river. There is no restriction on equipment and no pressure to race hard! We acknowledge that some paddlers do not consider themselves “Elite” but still want to race against their friends and set the fastest time they can. Therefore in the Leisure fleet paddlers will be timed and ranked within board categories and top five riders will receive product prizes from the event sponsors.
Here are the categories:
- Leisure (male or female) – £25 entry
- Unlimited (male or female)– all boards above 14′ – £25 entry
- XL or “Jumbo” – special division for multi-person boards, no length or width restriction, 4+ paddlers (Best Value!!!) – £50 entry
- Racing 12’6″ (male or female)– all boards up to and including 12’6″ long – £30 entry
- Racing 14’0″ – all boards above 12’6″, up to & including 14’0″ – £30 entry
We welcome paddlers using boards in the Unlimited category – all boards over 14’0″. If we receive sufficient entries in this division (greater than 10 in total, male & female) we will offer prizes.
Whichever class you’re in, if you just want to grab your gear and “go paddle” then Head of the Dart SUP will be just fine for you! Whether you’re aiming for the podium, gunning to beat your paddling buddy or simply looking to conquer the full eight miles, Head of the Dart offers a unique opportunity in stunning surroundings.
- The board must be mono hulled and powered by a single bladed paddle.
- In the racing divisions, the rider must remain standing for the duration of the race (except for maximum of 5 strokes on the knees in the event of a fall).
- Finishing times and positions will be recorded and results will be posted in the final rankings.
- To qualify as a youth, a competitor must be aged between 16 and 18 on the day of the race. Unfortunately due to the nature of the course, no under 16s can participate.
- There will be cash prizes for the top three male and top three female finishers in the 12’6″ and 14′ racing divisions.
- Product prizes will be drawn from random bib numbers in the Leisure divisions, plus a few special prizes in random categories!