Entries for Head of the Dart Stand Up Paddle have grown dramatically in recent years but we wish to ensure it remains an inclusive, welcoming and fun event. We recognise that some paddlers will like to paddle flat-out and race hard all the way to the finish while others will simply be cruising and enjoying the scenery. Therefore we will separate the fleets into “Racing” and “Leisure” categories with separate starts to ensure everyone can set off the start line amongst like-minded paddlers and not hinder or intimidate anyone paddling at a different pace!
The main fleet is known as the “Leisure” fleet. With a separate start to the other classes, riders won’t have the pressure of the Elite racers steaming past and will have time to take in some spectacular views cruising up the river. There is no restriction on equipment and no pressure to race hard! We acknowledge that some paddlers do not consider themselves “Elite” but still want to race against their friends and set the fastest time they can. Therefore in the Leisure fleet paddlers will be timed and ranked within board categories and riders will be added into a draw to receive product prizes from the event sponsors.
Here are the categories:
- Leisure (male or female) – £30 entry
- Unlimited (male or female)– all boards above 14′ – £35 entry
- Racing N1SCO One Design (male or female) – paddlers racing on One Design boards
- Racing 12’6″ (male or female)– all boards up to and including 12’6″ long – £35 entry
- Racing 14’0″ (male or female) – all boards above 12’6″, up to & including 14’0″ – £35 entry
We welcome paddlers using boards in the Unlimited category – all boards over 14’0″. If we receive sufficient entries in this division (greater than 10 in total, male & female) we will offer prizes.
Whichever class you’re in, if you just want to grab your gear and “go paddle” then Head of the Dart SUP will be just fine for you! Whether you’re aiming for the podium, gunning to beat your paddling buddy or simply looking to conquer the full eight miles, Head of the Dart offers a unique opportunity in stunning surroundings.
This year we are offering something different to support the growing of the UK SUP racing scene by supporting other events by helping and encourage paddlers to take part.
For the 14’ category, we will be awarding:
- 1st Place – Trophy plus the entry cost of 3 UK short distance races*
- 2nd Place – Trophy plus the entry cost of 2 UK short distance races *
- 3rd Place – Trophy plus the entry cost of 1 UK short distance races *
*By UK short distance race, this is any race in the UK up to 10k in distance. Events included but not limited to, in this are:
- GB SUP National Series
- Battle of the Thames – London, April 28th
- Cardiff International White Water Paddle Fest – Cardiff, May 9th
- National Water Sports Festival** – Rutland Water, June 8th to 10th
- Windermere – Lake District, June 23rd
- BaySUP – Bournemouth, July 21st
- Naish One UK Series
- Round Hayling Island – Hayling Island, TBC
- Big Ben Challenge – London, 23rd September
- Exe Hammer – Devon, 15th September
**Costs will be covered for the Saturday Day ticket only. If you are planning on attending the whole festival, costs will be covered equivalent to the cost of a day ticket.
For the 12’6 category, we will be awarding:
- 1st Place – Trophy plus a brand prize
- 2nd Place – Trophy plus a brand prize
- 3rd Place – Trophy plus a brand prize
There will also be our perpetual prizes for the Fastest Person, 1st Lady to Finish, 1st First Timer and 1st Youth, as well as our draw for Leisure Paddlers to win brand prizes.
This year will also see N1SCO One Design recognised and prizes available for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for Men and Ladies.